Pamplin College’s Center for Business Intelligence and Analytics (CBIA) is a driving force within Virginia Tech for the creation of collaborative relationships with students, faculty, and corporate leaders to advance the best practices in business analytics research and education. CBIA also leads curricular initiatives for students with interests in business intelligence and analytics and builds synergistic partnerships within the Virginia business community.
Faculty and students affiliated with CBIA apply the application of systematic analysis (both quantitative and qualitative) to vast collections of business data in order to leverage it for business planning and decision making has assumed a central place in management. Business analytics thus brings together information technology and its tools for organizing and accessing large data structures, statistical and text mining tools for analyzing the data, and business concepts and theory to inform the analyses and to use the results to drive business performance.
- Development and oversight of interdisciplinary curriculum innovations related to business intelligence and analytics, particularly graduate professional (Master of Science in Business Administration-Business Analytics program) and scholarly opportunities in both Blacksburg and National Capital Region.
- Enrich the curricula in business intelligence and analytics by strengthening interactions with related curricular initiatives in other Colleges and with other partners in the University (including the National Capital Region), business, and government.
- Work with organizations (business, nonprofit, and government) and other VT academic units to participate in activities focused on analytics and develop programs of experiential and service learning opportunities (living labs) in domains for business students related to business intelligence and analytics and mobilize and coordinate faculty participation in such activities.
- Formation of an Industry Advisory Board to provide financial support and industry contacts to benefit students seeking internships and employment opportunities and for faculty pursuing research opportunities.
- Build cooperative research relationships with groups involved in research on analytics, “big data”, and related topics and facilitate Pamplin faculty participation in sponsored research related to analytics.